To ensure the correct operation of controls system execution from hardware design, system design, network design, software development (PLC, HMI, SCADA, DCS and/or PC related systems) and system commissioning. Designs plans for future upgrades that keep all units up to industry standard practice. Use sound engineering and project management practice, design and implement new projects to automate process functions that increase
efficiency & safety. Repair and troubleshoot networking equipment related to process control systems. Manage outside engineering, vendors and specialty contractors as they pertain to the automation systems. Coordinate with plant staff on projects as they pertain to the machines’ functions.
Travel, as part of equipment evaluation, problem resolution, or
development will be required. Amount of travel is approximately 5%. Overtime will occur as a result of system installation and problem resolution along with call-ins as needed. The operation and maintenance of these SCADA and Controls systems is paramount to producing paper and must be available to the mill operations during all its operating schedule and much of the major outages. Incumbent will be involved in a manufacturing environment during running and major outages in order to reach their objectives.
- Support operational needs throughout the plant as they pertain to process automation, instrumentation and electrical systems. Trouble shooting and keeping mission critical functions running to insure the highest level of safety, efficiency and productivity possible.
- Budget and prioritize automation systems, instrumentation and electrical systems upgrade Repairs and maintains systems to insure as little down time as possible.
- Using system, industry and engineering knowledge, manage and direct specific contractors for timely task completion and cost efficiency.
- Possess the ability to, at a high level, program PLCs, HMIs and SCADA software; Using many different software’s for multiple brands.
- Identify solutions to system problems throughout the plant to better the process and assist in projects throughout the plant.
- Develop new and maintain existing controls / safeguards
- Lead / participate in teams during periods of central development
- Recommend new automated solutions to machine functions
- Oversee all SCADA and Controls systems use, development and system health
- Provide advanced technical direction to E&I Technicians
- Review / implement software upgrades and patches
- All process automation, engineering development & maintenance as it relates to the SCADA and controls systems
- Develop solutions as needed for problems throughout the plant
- Manage Ametek vision system and Measurex scanning system
- Oversee the development and maintenance of AutoCAD prints for all electrical systems throughout the plant. Update facility AutoCad drawings as necessary.
- Assist other associates in achieving goals when able
- Adhere to necessary ISO related systems and procedures
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Hour for lunch. Participates in weekly and weekend on-call schedule on a rotating basis.
Salary Range: Responsible for performing Individual Performance Plan Evaluation on a yearly basis. Potential salary adjustments on an annual basis. DOE: Position minimum starting pay is $80,000+ annually.
Prefer an associate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Automated Manufacturing Systems or related Degree. Two years experience in programming, developing and configuring PLC, HMI and SCADA systems (experience with Rockwell, Allen Bradley, GE, ABB is a plus). Ability to design and program PLC’s, SCADA systems, Database applications. Some networking experience (e.g. VLAN’s switches, firewalls). Knowledge of drives and electrical systems (transformers, switches, MCC’s) is a plus. Ability to maintain records and documentation to support a scheduled maintenance program, detailed plans to keep/upgrade all process automation, instrumentation and controls system equipment operational. Must be able to demonstrate aptitude to program PLC and SCADA. (e.g. ladder logic, VB, WinCC, SQL) The incumbent should also possess good verbal and written skills, excellent interpersonal skills to deal with people on all levels in the organization and outside venders and service providers. Ability to switch job priorities as required meeting production requirements. Excellent interpersonal, leadership, verbal and written skills. Decision making ability. Ability to coordinate small to large projects independently. Knowledgeable of electrical and controls engineering theories and principles. Significant electrical aptitude and knowledge of acceptable practices, techniques and codes. Proficient in AutoCad.
Where to Apply:
Business Leader – Potsdam Specialty Paper, Inc.
547A Sissonville Road
Potsdam, New York 13676.
Competitive benefit package. Medical/prescription, dental, vision, 401(k) plan with employer match, life and LTD.