St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce
Community Chamber Coordinator with Specialty (Communications OR Membership Benefits)
Reports to: St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce Executive Director
Non-Exempt: Full Time at 35 hours per week. The office is open M-F, 9am-4:30pm. Office location in Canton or Massena.
Compensation: $35-45k commensurate with experience. Individual health insurance, life insurance, retirement match, holiday, personal and sick time off. The St. Lawrence County Chamber is an independent 501c6 corporation.
The St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce is a leading partner in regional economic development and serves as the Tourism Promotion Agent for St. Lawrence County. Members of the Chamber work collaboratively with the Board of Directors, staff, and community stakeholders to promote and support the interests of businesses and enhance the overall economic climate of the region.
The mission of the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce is to cultivate, develop and support Chamber members and other businesses by creating a vibrant business climate that encourages growth and enhances the unique quality of life in St. Lawrence County.
Contact and Deadline:
Applicants should provide a cover letter, resume, 3 references and writing sample (see bottom of description) to the Executive Director Ben@SLCChamber.org. Cover letter should identify the preferred community and preferred specialty. Resume should illustrate experience related to both the Chamber Director role AND the preferred specialty. Flexibility and/or interest in either specialty is acceptable and should be illustrated in the cover letter and resume. Position will ultimately only include one specialty. This is a rolling application until filled.
The Chamber Coordinator is a full time position, with 50% of the time focused directly on the chosen community (Canton or Massena) and 50% on the chosen specialty (Communications or Member Engagement), which will enhance the local community as well as contribute to the greater membership and Chamber mission. This position will work closely with current team members working in Destination Services/Tourism and Workforce Development, which will contribute value to your community as well.
In addition to the responsibilities listed below, all members of the team are prepared to, complete any other duties related to the business of the Chamber, including but not limited to, offering assistance to fellow team members toward the ultimate goal of giving added value to membership in the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce and promotion to visitors and new residents.
Chamber Coordinator Position Description (Canton/Massena) (50%)
Basic Function: To act as the Chamber Representative in the assigned community (Canton or Massena) and create initiatives/coordinate events that benefit member businesses and highlight the community, encouraging engagement by members and visitors.
- Advocate for the interests of the local business community to government agencies, elected officials, and other stakeholders.
- Organize and coordinate events, programs, and networking opportunities that promote (Canton/Massena) area member businesses, foster collaboration, and strengthen the local business ecosystem.
- Coordinate local advisory committee (“ambassador group”) to help identify community needs and organize local initiatives/events
- Serve as the spokesperson for the Chamber in your local community.
- Foster partnerships with community organizations, educational institutions, and other stakeholders to support economic development initiatives and community growth.
- Assist in coordination two ‘Business in the Spotlight’ B2B networking events annually in your greater community.
Member Benefits Manager (Specialty)
Basic Function: To increase opportunities and value for members by seeking, developing, educating and engaging members in ways that enhance the success of their businesses.
- Encourage ongoing and consistent involvement in the member recruitment effort by the Board of Directors, committee and Chamber staff.
- Work with the Communications Manager to inform members on a regular basis.
- Recruit, build relationships, and coordinate benefits for Leadership Circle Membership.
- Survey and analyze the role of the Chamber for ongoing improvements.
- Direct the funding, development and execution of Chamber-sponsored programs (webinars, trainings, etc).
- Maintain and develop partnerships to increase opportunities for members and business development.
- Advocate for member and business issues with elected officials, advocacy groups, etc.
- Working with the staff to identify and develop programs, services and benefits that will create additional value for current and prospective members.
- Create and present orientation programs for new members to the Chamber, its mission, and services.
- Solicit and identify candidates for annual Business and Appreciation Awards.
- Secure sponsorships for assigned programs, events, and membership activities.
- Identify new member benefit opportunities and communicate current
- Organize and lead the Fall membership drive
Communications Manager (Specialty)
Basic Function: To oversee communications efforts of the Chamber. To lead in the development of all member literature (newsletter, eBulletin), tourism industry communications, online postings and the writing and distribution of all press releases.
- Develop promotional brochures, materials, and social media campaigns for use in marketing the Chamber to prospective members.
- Develop and direct Chamber publications to engage members (newsletter, e-bulletin, social media and website).
- Manage media relations, and execute marketing strategies to enhance the Chamber’s visibility and reputation.
- Accurately design and send email news briefs to the membership highlighting upcoming Chamber programs, business development opportunities, member announcements, events and activities including but not limited to:
- Weekly E-Bulletin
- Reminders on important upcoming programs and events
- Special E-Mail program promotion where appropriate
- Quarterly print newsletter
- Encourage and assist with member updates on website/database
- Assist with developing content for calendars, publications, web-site and social sites.
- Upload all current flyers, forms, and information on websites and calendars.
- Manage the LinkedIn for the Chamber. Support Facebook efforts through postings, photos and important news uploads.
- Create schedules to ensure timely information is available to members.
- Provide support for Chamber events and ensure photographic documentation for further use in Chamber related publications and on-line postings.
- Work with Member Benefits Manager to communicate benefits.
- Promote Chamber events, member updates/announcements and programming with press releases.
Note: Training will be provided on specific programs and applications, so curiosity and willingness to learn are essential.
- Associates degree or equivalent skills and experience.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Knowledge of St. Lawrence County businesses, industries, and educational landscape preferred.
- Proficiency in a range of computing applications (Microsoft Suite, Google Workspace)
- Occasional travel and events outside normal workday required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, car, and car insurance.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds and be active on feet for several hours at a time.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Constant Contact, LinkedIn, Canva.
- Interest in economic development, local business issues, and community dynamics.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with members, clients, staff, volunteers, business partners, community leaders and the general public.
Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge:
The successful individual for this position must:
- Be able to exercise independent judgment and make decisions necessary to achieve success in assigned areas, and to complete projects with limited supervision and direction.
- Be a self-motivated, detail-oriented, enthusiastic, and reliable business professional.
- Have strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Be able to function as a member of a high-performance team.
- Possess creativity and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service.
Attitude and demeanor of all St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce staff:
- As part of the work environment, all staff of the STLC Chamber will:
- Publicly support the mission of the STLC Chamber of Commerce.
- Communicate effectively with sensitivity and understanding in dealing with administrative colleagues, visitors, and business partners.
- Work as a team member in a professional environment.
- Present a “service attitude” (willingness to be flexible to meet the demands of the organization).
- Have a professional physical appearance (appropriate attire, personal hygiene, etc.)
In addition to application, a writing sample must be submitted. Responses should be within word count noted and address the specific request.
Scenario: You receive a call from a member. They are interested in learning more about the Chamber and benefits to their business. Write a sample email as a follow up to the conversation to address their needs. (Maximum 200 words). Use our website as a resource: www.VisitSTLC.com / www.SLCchamber.org
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Benefits
- Paid time off (sick days, vacation days)