Farmers Market Manager/Gardenshare Bookkeeper
The Farmers Market Manager/GardenShare Bookkeeper will work closely with Canton, Gouverneur, and Potsdam Farmers Markets, GardenShare’s staff, and volunteers. This person will oversee the day-to-day operation of the Canton, Gouverneur and Potsdam Farmers Markets. This includes an on-site presence (Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays) during market hours as well as working from the GardenShare office during non-market hours. In addition, this person will complete GardenShare bookkeeping duties.
- Maintain GardenShare bookkeeping system, including all records of expenditures and deposits.
- Maintain the audit trail on all transactions, as per GAAP.
- Pay invoices in a timely fashion; prepare payment checks.
- Prepare bank deposits.
- Prepare staff payroll and submit payroll taxes, as required.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations.
- Prepare monthly income statements, balance sheets, and other financial reports.
- Keep ED and Finance committee informed of financial status.
- Draft annual budget for board with ED and Finance Committee.
- Prepare financial records for an annual audit and tax filing.
- Maintain accurate financial records of grants
Donation Processing (Fund appeals and sustainers)
- Receive and process donations; send thank you letters; prepare bank deposits, etc.
- Maintain updated financial information for Sustainer donors.
- Update and maintain donor database.
FARMERS MARKET MANAGER DUTIES:
- Enroll vendors/members in the market (process applications, assigning vendor sites, etc.)
- Communicate with potential vendors, current vendors, After 10 vendors, community organizations
- Work with Market Treasurer for accurate accounting of member/vendor fees, donations, fundraising.
- Ensure all rules and regulations are adhered to (local market, county and state)
- Resolve disputes that arise
- Promote the market and members on social media, newspaper ads, press releases, radio stations, etc
- Maintain market records (attendance, FMNP paperwork, vendor database, etc.)
- Report to farmers market board or oversight committee
- Solicit entertainment for market days
- Conduct farm inspections
- Set up, maintain and teardown market infrastructure (tent, signs, etc.)
- Coordinate with GardenShare and volunteers to manage the table for processing incentive programs
- Be available to answer questions and address issues
- Conduct market evaluation
- Other duties as assigned
CompensationHourly wage: $18.00/hour
Skills, Abilities and Character Traits:
- Compassionate, collaborative, empathetic, and dedicated to food justice in St. Lawrence County.
Passionate about the community and local agriculture.
- Strong bookkeeping skills (2-3 years’ experience in bookkeeping preferred but not required)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to build community relationships (colleagues,
public, community leaders, etc.).
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and enjoy working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have social media skills.
- Must be resourceful and take initiative even when given minimal direction.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs
Driver’s License: Required
Vehicle: Required – Will need to transport market materials (tent, signs, totes, chairs, etc.)
Smartphone: Required with data (there is limited WIFI in the parks)
- Paid time off (sick days, vacation days)
GardenShare is a nonprofit that promotes a local food system that ensures food security for all St. Lawrence County residents. Its programs focus on connecting consumers and producers, supporting equitable distribution of food resources, removing barriers to access, providing food justice education and advocacy, and engaging with community partners. We are a small team of dedicated employees and volunteers seeking a Farmers Market Manager/GardenShare Bookkeeper to help us pursue our mission and serve our community. GardenShare is an excellent place to develop
meaningful, mission-driven experience.