Corning, Inc. - Canton Plant
Human Resource Specialist
Purpose of the Position: As an HR Generalist for the Canton site, you will support and partner with the HR team and Plant Leadership to align with HR objectives and initiatives to the business strategy.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Supports the plant HR manager to ensure that the Canton plant has the right talent to execute the plant’s strategy and achieve desired business results.
- Supports labor relations effort for unionized workforce.
- Supports site deployment of HR, ER, and LR strategies.
- Ensures that the plant establishes and maintains a positive work environment and operates as “One Corning” in support of Corning values.
- Assists in achieving or beating budgetary objectives in support of top quartile performance objectives while maintaining appropriate level of HR service delivery.
- Assists in successful implantation of global HR business processes in the plant.
- Ensures plant compliance with HR-related legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Takes ownership for specific HR initiatives that support the effective operations of the organization by developing and or delivering HR programs (e.g. attendance tracking, training, and employee communications).
- Partner with the Medical department to manage all workers compensation cases, EAP case management, FMLA and Disability as required for procedural and legislative purposes.
- Establish and maintain a presence on the plant floor to keep a read on the pulse of the organization.
- Develops an understanding of processes and tasks to best equip manufacturing workforce and facilitate cross training strategy
- Works with all plant functions to recognize hiring, onboarding, and retention opportunities
- Serves as a liaison with Operations and Human Resources relative to hiring, on-boarding, and retaining talent
- Optimize through redesign or refresh existing training materials, procedures, etc. to improve overall retention, safety behaviors, and application. Leverage new methods, and industry best practices
- Leverages various assessment practices like surveys, interviews with employees, focus groups, or consultation with managers, to regularly define opportunities for growth and development
- Support the hiring & onboarding processes for hourly and salaried employees (paperwork compliance, organization announcements, new hire orientation, training, etc.)
- Partner with Operations and HR on hourly staffing and management.
- Prepares HR analytics for reporting to site leadership (headcount, diversity, recognition, etc.)
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science, with a 170-year track record of life-changing inventions. Corning applies its unparalleled expertise in glass science, ceramic science, and optical physics along with its deep manufacturing and engineering capabilities to develop category-defining products that transform industries and enhance people’s lives. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in RD&E, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and deep, trust-based relationships with customers who are global leaders in their industries.
Aiming at deepening the connections between employees and Corning to enable the life-changing innovations, the global Human Resource (HR) Function focuses on culture, talent, global diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I), as well as impact to evolve how HR provides strategic, proactive, and timely solutions to create a competitive advantage for Corning. HR will ensure Corning’s culture to attract and consistently develop the best global talent to deliver business needs, new and existing global employees choose a long career at Corning while Corning HR has also established an intuitive DE&I mindset and leverage diverse talent to enable breakthrough innovations.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of 3+ years of HR experience (generalist/specialist).
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Organizational Development, Business, Labor Relations or equivalent.
- Successful track record of performance working in Manufacturing environment.
- Successful track record of performance as a Plant HR Specialist, Generalist or Center of Excellence (COE) role.
- Hands-on self-starter, capable of juggling multiple priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills, allowing for communication across entire organization.
- Demonstrated leadership and coaching skills.
- Ability to foster change and promote and implement improvement.
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet)
- Master’s degree in related area and/or HR certifications desired, but not required
- Applied Six Sigma, Lean or Kaizen experience.
- Successful track record in the deployment of global HR business processes or programs.
- Business and financial insight
- Organizational agility
- Strong knowledge of applicable laws and ability to quickly interpret, apply, and administer policies and procedures
- Strong social and organizational savvy
- Role model for integrity and champion the Corning values
- Collaborator and relationship builder
- Ability to understand context and properly represent, comprehend, and understand another’s point of view
- Win/win problem solving mindset
- Patient and resilient, yet willing to challenge and stimulate difficult discussions necessary to move the business forward
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Benefits
- Paid time off (sick days, vacation days)