Corning, Inc. - Canton Plant
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Role:
You will be responsible for providing technical guidance, solutions and options for improving productivity and efficiencies in the maintenance organization at the Corning Canton Facility. Responsibility for directly supervising the hourly mechanical, machinist, electrical, and building and grounds workforce ensuring a motivated and skilled workforce. The Individual will be required to assess skills, write performance evaluations and recommends and/or provide training to ensure department personnel are technically competent to maintain equipment in use at the facility. This facility is a continuous operations facility.
- Establish priorities for the maintenance function/department and work closely with Facilities Engineering, Plant Engineering Manager, and Plant Operations Manager, and the H.R. Manager to ensure the effective utilization of available resources.
- We support the operations team by working in a safe, customer-focused manner; and must be highly self-motivated and customer-centric.
- Handle the movement of equipment to and from the facility and act as the key contact person.
- Responsible for tracking expenditures and labor costs to ensure compliance with plant and department budgets.
- Recommend and implement programs/strategies to reduce equipment downtime, improve labor efficiency, upgrade facilities, and reduce costs.
- Seek bids on construction, alteration or installation work as the need arises. Recommend contractors based on cost, workmanship, and completion dates. Administer such contracts and coordinate work performed to ensure expectations are met and contractors adhere to facility policies.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, improvement and compliance of preventative maintenance programs. Ensure repair work is documented.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Federal, State and local safety and health, environmental, building and fire ordinances and standards not limited to lockout tagout, haz-com, machine guarding and waste disposal. Actively participate in local safety programs and ensure maintenance team performs safely.
- Assist in incident investigations, analysis and preparation of accident reports and summaries.
- Prepare descriptions of identified unsafe conditions and the steps to be taken to correct the unsafe conditions.
- Provide a good example for employees by always directing and performing work in a safe manner and following the Corning rules and policies.
- Create and maintain documentation including SOP’s and preventive maintenance plans
- Coach, mentor, train and develop maintenance employees to meet current and future business requirements
- Develop and design innovative solutions to difficult problems, lead outside contractors and be on call for emergencies.
- Handle multiple internally- and externally sponsored projects and daily activities, lead and meet timelines, and develop & track plans on how to accomplish departmental and plant goals.
- Work with local site Safety department leadership to understand, implement, and audit safety programs. Ensure that all safety programs and procedures are followed. Own and promote excellent housekeeping.
- Facilitate technical and safety training, as well as help to develop professional development of departmental Maintenance technicians.
- Develop capital spending plans, facilitate multi-functional project planning and perform cost analysis.
- Ability to provide specific, enriched feedback to enhance individual performance, and provide associates with written performance appraisals including corrective action, and up to termination.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- We require a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering major preferred.
- 3-5 years in prior supervisory experience
- We are seeking 5+years industrial maintenance experience.
- We need an understanding of industrial machinery and facilities systems. This includes electrical and mechanical aspects of equipment.
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
- Read, analyze and interpret general business documents. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information to groups.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Any Union experience a plus
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Benefits
- Paid time off (sick days, vacation days)