Product Metallurgical Engineer
The Product Metallurgical Engineer is responsible for reviewing customer specifications, on line practice approval, and the investigation of claims and rejections, leading to practices that meet customer quality requirements while at the same time minimizing cost through assuring maximum operations availability. This position will require close customer contact, with the expectation that travel to a customer’s location will at times be required.
Specifications & Availabilities
Reviews customer specifications and prepares letters of acceptance or exception. Advises Sales, Marketing or Customer Service of product availabilities, recommending full Trial & Availabilities reviews for non-standard products. Issues special Practices Requirements documents per Departmental procedures. Initiates PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) if required by the customer.
Reviews and approves/ rejects practices, advising Customer Service and production planning of reasons for rejection. Ensures that practices are designed and effectively deployed to meet customer requirements, while optimizing costs and profit potential. Deploys effective change controls to maintain product quality and manage and control risks to safety and process integrity.
Disposition of QMR
Disposition internal questionable material, determining if the material is usable by the customer. Works with the production areas to investigate root cause and problem solve to root cause.
Disposition of Claims
Dispositions customer claimed material. Works with Quality Systems to issue corrective actions requests to responsible areas. Works with the area Operations Quality and process Engineers to develop effective corrective actions.
Assigned as Single Point Accountability (SPA) for customer accounts, with the expectation that travel to a customer’s location/and or host on-site visits to resolve claims and assist in new product development will at times be required. Assists Technical Account Mangers and Applications Engineers in the development and qualifications of products.
Advises the Location of customer requirements resulting in the identification of new key processes requiring Process Management. Monitors product characteristics for process capability to customer requirements and may act as Process Owner for assigned managed process(es).
Expected to participate in activities supporting Arconic Massena’s Quality Management System and maintenance of the facility’s ISO and AS9100:D Quality Certifications. This may include but is not limited to: Quality Audits, procedure development and approval, reduction of internal and external rejections, change management.
Organizational: The incumbent reports to the Quality and ABS Manager. Other Metallurgical Engineers in Extrusion/Fabricating report to the Quality and ABS Manager.
Contacts: Principal contacts are within the Extrusion/Fabricating and area such as Production Operators, Flow Path Leaders, Superintendents, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, as well as other Metallurgical Engineers. Further contact within Extrusion/Fabricating will also include Maintenance personnel, Scheduling/Shipping, and PT Lab.
The incumbent shall take the steps necessary to assure that all employment practices under his/her control, including hiring, firing, promotions, demotions, and corrective actions are conducted in a non-discriminatory way and without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, age, or physical disability. Incumbent shall endeavor to remain generally abreast of local, state, and federal laws, rules, regulations, and statutes governing equal opportunity practices and discrimination / harassment laws.
The incumbent recognizes that accident prevention is equal in importance to production, quality, delivery, and cost control and accepts the responsibility to work safely and promote safety consciousness among fellow employees.
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science Engineering or Materials Science from an accredited institution.
- Combined 1 year experience in an engineering role.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Five years of experience in a manufacturing environment in a metallurgy or engineering capacity
- One year working experience in the aluminum industry
- Working knowledge of metal finishing technology
- Working knowledge of metal extrusions technology
- Working knowledge of aluminum association standards, alloys and tempers
- Experience with ISO9001, AS9100
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer (CQE)
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) or Six Sigma Black Belt (SSBB) certification
- Experience with APQP (advanced product quality planning) and PPAP (production part approval process)
- Experience with Measurement Systems Analysis
- Day Shift
- Travel 25 % of the Time